Thursday, April 9, 2009

New Pets

We have become what I guess would be called backyard hobby farmers. We are planting a garden tomorrow and a few weeks ago a friend gave us 5 baby chickens. I have been wanting chickens for a while and Mark was now forced to build a coup for me to house these eventual egg-layers! Well, Mark's dad got involved helping build the coup and yard and he never just throws anything together. So we have a top-notch set-up. Here is Jack playing inside the coup before the chicks moved in.

Jack was selling hamburgers, popcorn, and pizza to us through the nest door.

Here he is going in through the front door.
And Charlie sat by studying nature. He particularly likes eating it too. Today while I was working on our garden he ate a clump of good ol' earth. Where was I, you ask? Right there beside him. You can't take your eyes off him for a minute!

John and Jack putting the finishing touches on the coup and yard.

Mark and Jack trying to coax the chicks into their new home.

Thinking about coming out.

The chicks finally came out of the pet carrier when I got on the other side and started talking to them. They're really fun to watch - pecking, stretching their wings. One of the chicks is pretty aggressive towards the others, so we think it might be a rooster. We are beginners for sure! But what fun!










No comments: